- This event has passed.
Promoting Social Media Skills and Safety for Individuals with Disabilities
May 24 @ 12:00 pm - 1:30 pmFree
Join the Sexual Health SIG for a webinar discussing Social Media use and safety. Social media use has many benefits and risks that individuals with disabilities can experience. In this presentation, strategies to assist individuals with disabilities with the identification of dangerous and safe online situations will be presented. The strategies presented will cover the concepts of identifying and addressing predators (including catfishers/posers) and cyberbullying; creating and maintaining a good online reputation; gaining and receiving online consent, and keeping private information private. In the final portion of this webinar, a panel of self-advocates will discuss their use of social media, as well as strategies they use to ensure their online safety.
After this presentation, attendees will be able to
- Implement strategies to assist individuals with disabilities in the identification and addressing of predators (including catfishers and posers), cyberbullying, and online consent.
- Implement strategies to assist individuals with disabilities in learning what to share online, including that of keeping personal information private and basic netiquette rules.
Panel: Using online platforms
- How we use/why we want to use online platforms
- How we learned to use online platforms safely and ensure our own safety
- What strategies do we use to be safe online
Date: Tuesday, May 24, 2022
Time: 12:00 – 1:30 PM MST